Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Snowshoeing

On Sunday, most of Charlie's English class, plus Pedro, got together for an afternoon of snowshoeing in La Plata Canyon, just outside of Durango. We were inspired by the skiing and snowshoeing trip that Libby organized the week before. Please post some photos, Libby.

It was really a perfect adventure. Once we had rounded up enough snowshoes, we had to find a pair of boots that Raul would fit into. Fortunately, Nicolas brought a few pairs of boots along and one of them worked. With all the right gear (I'm glad it was 50 degrees and sunny, not 10 degrees and windy) we sqeezed into 2 vehicles and headed for the mountains.

It was amazing to walk up the canyon because we were actually walking in the riverbed but there was so much snow we couldn't see or hear the water below the snow. After going a couple of miles, we finally got to a spot where we could see the river, which looked like a big turquois slush puddle. We decided to stop there and hang out for a while.

Except for Benja and myself, it was everybody's first time snowshoeing. Everyone snowshoed well and seemed to have a lot of fun. There was great conversation, wonderful views, a little bit of tackling and wrestling in the snow, long jump contests and even a bonfire. Oh, and dirty jokes compliments of Benja. I think my favorite part was sitting around the fire and sharing all of the different snacks and drinks that people brought.

Thanks to everyone who was there for making it such an enjoyable trip; you're a wonderful group of people. It was great to spend time with you outside of the classroom and to be a part of your first trip to the La Platas.

I look forward to reading comments from others who were on the trip.

4 comments:

"Edna in the world" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bauyrzhan said...

I agree, it was a very amazing event for me. I have never done anything like that before. I was happy to share my time with people who has become my friends from more than eight countries.

Also, it was a pleasure to do something for the firt time with the opportunity to learn more and exchange our cultures outside the class.

I think we should do more like this activities whenever we have free time.
Thanks to all.

paula murga ... said...

I really had a blast with you guys! It was a wonderful experience! Each of you was essential to the success of this trip! Thank you for all the fun that you give to us! And thank you for inviting Pedro! Kisses!
Paula
PS: Benja, I will never forget your bad jokes! Jejejeje

"Edna in the world" said...

I loved the trip, was my first experience with snowshoeing, the group was great, the climate and the scenery really fantastic!
Thanks my teacher Charlie and my classmates, oh and Pedro too, for this day :)