Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What's your favorite English word?

I think that when most people learn a language, certain words have special significance.  You might like a word because of the way it sounds, its meaning, a memory related to the word, or some other reason.

The Spanish word "rompope" has special meaning to me.  Several years ago, I spent a few months living in Costa Rica.  While I was there I helped to build a house for Habit for Humanity.  The construction foreman was a wonderful man from Nicaragua named Eduardo.  He was one of the craziest, happiest people I have ever known and was a lot of fun to work with.  He love rompope (egg nog).  

In the United States, I only drink egg nog at Christmas parties when it is cold and dark and everyone is in the holiday spirit.  It was really strange for me to drink egg nog in the tropics in the middle of the day while mixing concrete.  When Eduardo saw me in the morning he would yell, "Charlie . . . tienes r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-rompope hoy?"  I will always remember this word and I will always have wonderful memories of Eduardo.

Please leave a comment explaining what your favorite English word is and why you like it so much.

10 comments:

Bauyrzhan said...

My favorite word is “Consciousness”. I learned this word in 8th grade during my school time. Initially it was very difficult for me to pronounce it correctly. After looking into a dictionary with pronunciation I was able to do that. When I knew a correct pronunciation I liked it because it has a soft pronunciation and also a difficult spelling. One of my friends showed me this word during an English lesson.

Example: If people want to succeed they should be friendly with their consciousness.

Unknown said...

“My Favorite English Word.”


I think my favorite English word is ‘YES’. I love that because I feel happy and full of expectations when I listen yes. future is positive. I have a philosophy about if you say yes all the time, you can change your future be humble, don’t expect too much and after that all happenings in your life going be better than you think. Everything in your life is important if you see that, you can see the YES. The word meaning some positive, anything is impossible, something you can do it, something is waiting for you.

happynick said...

hi charley I think my favorite word its LOVE.I like it because when you say love everything in your life is beautiful .I learned that word when I was 13 years old ,and I use the word love everyday and I think I use that many times during the day .the word love involves everything in my life, and I hope that word is a really important part for a lot people .if you feel love, you can make many things, if you feel love I’ m pretty sure the life is so easy. Love is all on the life.

sexyarley said...

My favorite English word is bull crap, because sometimes when I am in the house with my kids I start getting angry. I say bad words to my self, and the only reason I like this word is because I get mad and say bad words in front of my kids. So I use bull crap.
Well I like to use this word when I am drinking in the bar being loud and crazy.

Unknown said...

For my favorite word is Precaution this word mean that you have to be careful on what your doing in work, when your driving or doing something in your house or anywhere.

Unknown said...

dantefor me the word lucky i like because when somone body said hey your are one lucky man on really like how sound

Unknown said...

My favorite English word is local because sounds like crazy in Spanish(loco). When first I moved here I was working in a restaurant everybody say
Local and I looked at everybody because I thought they call me crazy.

Bauyrzhan said...

Yeah!
Burito choko

Anonymous said...

Hi Baur! You are very very smart that you are able to pronouce "Consciousness" correctly. I will find a difficult English word that you will have a troule with. Ok?

Bauyrzhan said...

ok,Taka.Try some. But I don't think you find one.